Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Let's Just ask 'A'

Why is that anytime anybody needs a favor, my name is the first one that seems to come up?

This happens at work, with my family and friends, as well as organizations I'm not even involved with.

Since I'm involved in a lot of the community aspects of the church (softball, being the male chaperone for the youth group, tutoring), I'm young, and don't have any childern; I've become the fallback plan for everything. I've picked up the slack for basketball coaches who have quit midseason, youth leaders who have gotten pregnant and decided to never show up again, organizing mission trips, being the 'foreman' for the Habitat Blitz Build as well as cooking way too many dinners on very short notice. On average, I spend about 5 hours each month doing volunteer activities that I most certainly did not volunteer for.

I was just roped into taking a large group of Boy Scouts on a camping trip. When I was asked, it seemed like the right thing to do; I enjoyed my time as a Boy Scout enough to get my Eagle Scout, I like to camp, and had no weekend plans. As soon as I hung up the phone, the voices in my head to yell the following:
  • You nitwit, you just agreed to go camping in the middle of January.
  • It's going to be really really cold.
  • You'll be paying about 40 dollars to board your dog.
  • You're already over you gas budget for the month, it's another tank of gas you'll use.
The net result: I'll spend an extra 80-90 this weekend to freeze my ass off in the woods and no RAM upgrades for the MacBook.

I really need to learn how to say No.

1 comment:

Meg said...

Woo boy. Good luck with that. You won't find my ass in a tent in the winter. Make sure you layer up... and don't burn the tent down.